Call 2-1-1 in Vermont and New Hampshire or visit their websites for housing resources including overnight shelter, rental housing, tenant rights, and more.

New Hampshire: http://www.211nh.org/

Vermont: https://www.navigateresources.net/211vermont/Subcategory.aspx?;;0;;N;0;274851;Housing%20/%20Shelter

Evictions and Foreclosures

NH Governor’s Emergency Orders stop evictions, stop foreclosures, and expand unemployment. Read the orders to see if they apply to you. Note that NH residents will still owe back rent once the emergency orders are lifted. Governor Sununu encourages all tenants who have difficulty paying their rent to work with their landlord to develop a payment plan and pay what they can. Many tenants should be able to pay using the expanded unemployment benefits to pay all or part of their rent.

In Vermont, while many in-court appearances are postponed, it is still possible for a landlord to file a Complaint to start the eviction process. If that happens, you still have to respond by filing an Answer within 21 days. Filing deadlines are still in effect. Learn more in the Evictions pages of the VT Law Help wesbite.

On March 18, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary Ben Carson, in consultation with the Trump Administration and the Coronavirus Task Force, authorized the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) to implement an immediate foreclosure and eviction moratorium for single family homeowners with FHA-insured mortgages for the next 60 days. These moratoriums are part of the continued effort by President Trump to address impacts to the financial well-being of America’s individuals, families, and businesses caused by Coronavirus (COVID-19).

For legal assistance, contact:

Guidance to Plan, Prepare, and Respond to COVID-19

Resources for Shared and Congregate Housing

Local Resources for Families in Need

New Hampshire

  • Town Welfare Office. All towns in New Hampshire are required to assist their residents with basic needs, which includes housing. If you need financial help, contact your town or city hall and ask for the welfare official. If the welfare official is not available, ask for the town or city manager. 
  • LISTEN Community Services will be conducting Housing Helper appointments by phone only. Please call 603-448-4553 or email reception@listencs.org to be connected to a service coordinator.
  • City of Lebanon Human Services: The office will be open for appointments only from 9:00 am – 12:30 pm and 2:00-4:00 pm.  Customers need to call (603-448-2944) or email (welfare@lebanonnh.gov) to schedule an appointment.
  • Tri-County CAP Homeless Outreach, Intervention and Prevention: Alternative methods of service delivery for walk-ins and transportation to shelter will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. On-going case management services will be conducted using technology. Please call 606-444-0184 for services and information. (Serves Grafton, Carroll, and Coos County of New Hampshire)


  • The Upper Valley Haven: All supportive housing coordination including Parkhurst Program and Family Supportive Housing Services will occur via telephone: 802-295-6500
  • Southeastern Vermont Community Action (SEVCA): Appointments for housing assistance can be scheduled by calling Westminster office (802-722-4575 or 800-464-9951) or any satellite locations in Brattleboro, Springfield, WRJ, and Windsor. You can find your local contact number on the SEVCA website.  
  • CAPSTONE: Emergency Housing and Fuel Assistance to be scheduled over the phone with a counselor. 1-800-639-1053. Serves the Washington, Orange, and Lamoille Counties of Vermont.